Support Groups for Teens and Adults
Support Groups for Adults
At Holy Health Care Services, we conduct support groups for young adults, middle aged adults and older adults who may be going through similar difficulties with mental health and behavioral issues. These issues often stand in the way of fully living the life they want. A support group enables these adult patients to look into other people’s experiences and find out how their similar challenges were overcome by their peers.
Some of the support groups we facilitate are particularly targeted at issues such as:
- Substance Abuse
- Addiction (Alcohol, Drugs, Shopping/Debt Acquisition, hoarding, and other related destructive habits)
- Familial Issues
- Domestic Abuse
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Mental, Behavioral and Developmental Disorders
Apart from the actual participation of the individual in these support groups, we also hold separate sessions for family members or caregivers. These sessions are quite helpful as the participants voluntarily support each other thereby forming emotional reinforcements and positive encouragement that makes their situations easier to bear.
Support Groups for the Youth and Teens
Holy Health Care Services is a safe place to speak up and be heard!
We offer support groups that are dedicated to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ) transitioning aged youth to equip them to become aware of and comfortable with their identities, knowledgeable of their health status and risks, and actively involved in the community.
With resources available in Washington, DC we assist, educate, and support LGBTQ youth in becoming self-sufficient by learning their rights and responsibilities; how to speak up for themselves; making decisions about their lives and learning how to connect to eligible supportive services. We assist them along in their journey to becoming self-sufficient, problem solving, empowered, individuals in a safe, accepting, and hate-tree environment so they can freely express themselves.
Our goal is to foster an environment where you can feel safe, regardless of your sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression and which empowers you to reach your full potential.
- “DUKE” — Do You Know Everything? — HIV/AIDS Knowledge and Prevention Strategies: HIV/AIDS crosses boundaries of sexual orientation, gender, age, and ethnicity. This group provides education and knowledge necessary to protect yourself and the ones you love. Erase the doubt— “DUKE” it out!
- “Hey Ladies” — A Lesbian Group: Join our discussion meeting for women who love women. This group provides a safe, separate space for the exploration of issues and concerns specific to the lives of Lesbians.
- “Man-To-Man” — A Gay’s Men Group: Get support around stigma and coping skills to address and deal with fears and misconceptions that stem __torn-stereotypes. ibis setting-is -an opportunity to share experiences, as well as receive advice from one another.
- “Trans I Gender Explorers”: Are you trans, gender non-conforming, or just questioning your sexual orientation? Topics include safety, coming out, navigating mental health resources, dating and relationship issues, as well as self-acceptance and aging in our genders.
- “Finding Your Way Home”: Like many homeless youth, LGBTQ youth either runaway or are forced out of the home due to severe family conflict, abuse, neglect, mental health or physical disabilities. Discussions center on barriers, collaborations and connections in order to link LGBTQ transitioning aged youth to services so they can find their way home.
- “Do-WAP”: Doing Me Wellness Action Planning: Discussions center on daily self-maintenance and being proactive about wellness in order to avoid negative experiences.
- “The Quilt Of Life” – The Connection Between our Thoughts and Feelings: There is a connection…a thread…that ties our thoughts that go through our heads to the feelings, behaviors and emotions that follow. Join in a conversation about these threads and begin to learn how to make the choices in life that cuts out the drama and puts you more in charge.